Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Worst Muppet: Janice


I've made my love of Muppets clear through multiple posts on this blog such as this, this, and this.  It's a fact that Muppets are awesome.

If I can find a reason to mention Muppets then I'm going to do it.  And yes, Sesame Street characters are Muppets.  Don't be a smart ass.

That's why it's hard to believe that I could actually hate a Muppet.  It's against my nature.

Although it's not just any Muppet I hate, it's the worst Muppet ever created: Janice.

You may recognize her as the lead guitar player in Electric Mayhem band on "The Muppet Show."

I mean have you seen her.  Those freaky giant eyelashes and lips, over tanned skin, ratty blond hair, and general whorish appearance.

She's a disgrace to Muppets everywhere and her mere existence sullies the Muppets' good name.  It only makes sense that she was created in 1975 because people were obviously too drugged out to realize what a horrible Muppet she was.

Just look at the people she compares to in human form.  They're scary looking people: New York and Donatella Versace.





I know I'm not the only person that feels this way either.    All I had to say to my friend last weekend was, "You know who's the worst Muppet?"  He immediately described Janice.

Unbelievably, there are people who actually like Janice.  Instead of being angry, I just feel sorry for them because they love such a bad Muppet.

In fact it would be pretty hard to be friends with someone who liked Janice.  I'd immediately question their judgement.

Wow, I've devoted a lot of words to the hatred of something that's not even real.  It probably shouldn't matter this much to me, but it does.

I must be pretty obsessed with Muppets.  There might be an intervention in my future.

I'm just saying if I had a time machine, the first thing I'd do is go back and make sure Janice the Muppet was never created.  Priorities people, priorities.

I'd like to hear other people's opinion though.  Do you agree or disagree about Janice?  Is there actually a worse Muppet than Janice? Are there other bad Muppets?

23 comments:

  1. Here's another comparison:

    http://www.dlisted.com/node/40006/images/101210X5_DIAZ_B-GR_16.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's a good comparison. Cameron Diaz really does look like Janice, and it probably explains why so many people dislike her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck no. Janice may be a bit creepy looking but when she has speaking roles she's pretty funny. Besides, Dr. Teeth is pretty much just as creepy. The worst muppet is easily Oscar. I know he's the hobo of sesame street but not all hobos are grouches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree. Even her voice is really annoying. There's really nothing enjoyable about her for me. How can you say that Oscar is the worse muppet? I think you'd be pretty grouchy if you lived in a trash can and people kept bothering you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pic of my ex gf that is very reminiscent of Janice. Maybe now I'll share your dislike :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always heard she was supposed to be Mary Travers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you may be right because Travers does look an awful lot like her.

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mZdv4u7DYhA/SrKnDORCEgI/AAAAAAAAC6M/2jq5F2LJbog/s400/Mary_Travers_-_Morning_glory.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! Totally agree. This muppet, along with Miss Finch from Follow That Bird, are two muppets I can ALWAYS relate to looking like other ACTUAL people though. Bizarre. They're my two least favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, I forgot about Miss Finch. I think I blocked her out because she used to freak me out when I watched Follow that Bird. She looked like she was going to eat or attack me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love JANICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE IS THE BEST MUPPET

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only in some bizarro world where things that are supposed to be bad are considered good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah you are wrong Janice is the best muppet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gonzogirl10 i love janice and i cant belive the mean things you said about her like when you said the people liking bit like i was affended. But i dont know janice has a mans voice like why didnt she keep her girls voice

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think jinice is awsome but why didnt she keep her girls voice

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still find this intense love for Janice as weird. Especially the concept that anyone can claim she was the best muppet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fuck you and die. Janice is one of the most awesome muppets. I hope you get chlamydia in your man twat you piece of shit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A passionate defense yet you fail to make valid points because me dying or having an STD doesn't change anything. In fact you imply that you may have chlamydia and once I contract it from you, it will result in my death.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Janice was actually supposed to be a male character that was modeled after Mick Jagger. After the creators made her, they thought she looked more female... She's not THAT bad!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked Janice. She's just the stoner of group, and every group has one. She will always be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Although I do not agree with people's love of Janice, I do appreciate the interesting background on the character and explanations for liking or not liking her that people are giving. Well, at least the ones that aren't death threats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Janice is über creepy. I know a woman who looks like her and she's a total bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My son is terrified of her. He becomes petrified whenever he sees her. She doesn't really bother me but I see why a small kid would be afraid of her.

    ReplyDelete