Friday, May 10, 2013

Games of Thrones and Savage Garden "Truly, Madly, Deeply"



I really hate the Savage Garden song "Truly, Madly, Deeply" because it's whiney and the lyrics are stupid.

But I noticed it has a weird connection with Jon Snow and Ygritte's relationship on the last two episodes of "Game of Thrones."

Normally, "Truly, Madly, Deeply" lyrics  such as "I wanna stand with you on a mountain.  I wanna bathe with you in the sea" sound like nonsense.

In fact, if you said that to your girlfriend then she'd probably get weirded out and dump you.

I mean honestly who says, "I wanna stand with you on a mountain" and what would that prove?

Although, "Game of Thrones" seems to be playing these scenarios out.   Last week Snow and Ygritte were quite happy to be standing with each other on a mountain (okay an ice wall).


Then the previous week, they were bathing in a hot spring which is kind of like bathing with each other in sea.


So apparently there is a context when the lyrics of "Truly, Madly, Deeply" are appropriate.  It just happens to be the vast fantasy world of a book and TV series.  Either that or George R.R. Martin is a really huge Savage Garden fan.

2 comments: