Friday, October 11, 2013

Music Played in Supermarkets



I can't help but notice the random music played in supermarkets.  For the most part, supermarkets love their pop songs and seem to be stuck in some 90s to early 2000s time warp.

I'd love to know how they pick their music because it's certainly an odd arrangement.  Here's a list of the songs I've heard the last three times I've gone to the supermarket.

Prince - "When Doves Cry"
The Foundations - "Build Me up Buttercup"
Human League - "Don't you Want Me"
Train - "Hey Soul Sister"
Selena Gomez - "Love You Like a Love Song"
Savage Garden - "Cherry Cola"
The Wonders - "That Thing You Do"
The Wallflowers - "The Difference"

Yeah, I didn't end up buying any Cherry Cola despite the song.  It was more likely I was gonna "stand with someone on a mountain or bath with them in the sea" than do that.

I don't think I've ever heard the Wallflower's "The Difference" outside of a supermarket, but I hear it all the time in them.  There has to be some explanation for why supermarkets love it so much.

According to this, there is at least some rhyme and reason to supermarket music.  Apparently someone actually measured that music in a major chord sells more supermarket products than music in a minor chord.

And what are the majority of the chords in "The Difference"?  That's right, major chords.

The Wallflowers are tying to trick you into buying stuff you don't need.  Although, I just think Jacob Dylan is happy you're listening to his music at all.

What type of music do you hear when you go to the supermarket?

No comments:

Post a Comment